It isn’t very good. The material around the armholes is ruched up badly and the hem is wonky. And I’m fairly sure it won’t actually fit her, so I’ll try to give it to someone with a smaller baby who will have to pretend to be delighted. I also love how suitable the colour is for a toddler, and that the style and fabric is so suitable for autumn in the UK.
But, nevertheless, I have made something. And I’ve learnt a few things. Firstly, I like sewing. I don’t like making patterns. Easy enough, I’ll stop making things where you have to draw your own pattern, which may lead to fewer wonky hems. I’ve also realised that I’m not very good at cutting out – the two halves of the dress weren’t actually the same size, even though they were cut with the same pattern. This is just because I’m slapdash. So next time, I’m going to try to take more care. It really is that simple. And I remembered how much I enjoy sewing – the feel of something coming together, and having a finished item at the end. I’m going to make the most of it, before my girls realise they don’t have to wear what I’ve made, that there’s a difference between ‘uneven’ and ‘asymmetric’ when it comes to hems. I don’t think I’ve got long.